From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:27:06 -0500
Did you have anything about Basse's Choice, in Isle of Wight County?
A friend and I discovered it and I wrote to Ivor Noel Hume [having
been unable to get any other archaeologists interested, they seemed
to think we must have found a few old Coke bottles and studiously
ignored us, so I decided to "go to the top"], who then looked into it
and someone excavated it. I had moved away from Smithfield by then,
so I never found out what sorts of things they discovered. I know
there was a brick wall a few feet down and eroding out of the cliff
above the river. We actually found several sites in that area where
Pagan Creek emptied into the James, and the fellow who was sent to
look at it [who shall remain nameless] never got in touch with us, so
as far as I know the other sites were never located. I drew a map, I
still have it, showing the sites we found [walking around the fields
in the winter, no we did not dig anywhere, I know better than that],
if the places haven't been developed and built over by now. If anyone
wants a copy of the map, send me a snail mail address privately and I
will mail you a copy.

I don't wish to offend anyone, but from the experiences my friend and
I had, I can't help but wonder if those copper mines of Byrd's are
out there, old ruins of homesteads, mills, who knows what, and the
locals know all about it but the archaeologists won't pay them any
mind. Maybe if they listen, they might find more. Our experience in
this regard was very disappointing, we tried for years, beating our
heads against a wall, ignored and dismissed, till I was so frustrated
and so worried the place would be built over, I took a chance on Ivor
Noel Hume. Thank heavens he did listen.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone