From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:12:19 -0400
It has been my distinct pleasure to work with both Marie Tyler-McGraw
and Deborah Lee over the past year on the topic of Virginians and
Liberia.  We met through the auspices of the Virginia Foundation for
the Humanities.

The grant project I have been working on for the Mary Ball Washington
Museum and Library in Lancaster, VA (http://www.mbwm.org/) is
abstracting the estate records of 472 decedents from the period of
1835 to 1865 comprising nearly 1,300 documents.  One of the primary
objectives of this project is to identify all of the slaves in the
various inventories and to gather as much personal information about
them as possible.  I was quite excited when I found the sole instance
in Lancaster County where a slave owners (two bachelor brothers)
emancipated their 44 slaves living in Northumberland County and sent
them to Liberia.  This was not a topic which I knew much about until
then.  By coincidence, both the "Estates" project and the "Liberia
Database" project were happening at the same time, and David
Bearinger at the VFH was kind enough to put us in touch before our
next grant recipients meeting.  It was pure serendipity, and each of
us were able provide very important to the other regarding this
particular group of people.

In the course of this, I am publishing an article in the next issue
of The Bulletin of the Northumberland County Historical Society about
this event, and both Ms. Tyler-McGraw and Ms. Lee have been extremely
generous with their limited time to assist me in writing the article
as it pertains to the American Colonization Society.  I was also very
fortunate to have access to their pre-launch web site, and have
watched with interest as it has evolved (and am in fact using it as
one of a several templates for our own eventual on-line database).

For those interested in this topic, I can highly recommend Tyler-
McGraw's book "An African Republic" and this on-line database is a
veritable gold mine of information not easily available to even the
most relentless researcher.

If your schedule at all permits, I encourage you to attend the launch
event.  (I assume it is in Charlottesville though this is not
specifically stated in this announcement).

Congratulations to Marie and Deborah and the launch.  I know it has
been a labor of love, and it will give all of you yet another great
tool for your research endeavors.  Warning:  once you start, you'll
want to learn a whole lot more.

Craig Kilby

P.S.  Ironically, I received this message after returning the last of
three grueling meetings with the magazine's editor.  I must say, I am
both surprised and impressed to work with an editor who takes such
interest in an article as to double-check the accuracy of all of my
source citations, whether at the Court House, a book, or a web site.
I am thankful that any mistakes in the article can be fairly shared
with him.