From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2011 23:03:33 +0000
Juretta--

Thank you--this accords with what I have understood Jefferson to have argued.  Note, however, that Paul Finkelman's argument (to which I alluded in an earlier post) suggests that, on the whole, despite these hints of environmentalism in Jefferson's thought about slavery, Jefferson more properly should be understood as a precursor to the racial essentialism of the full blown pro-slavery, slavery-as-a-positive-good argument.

I had thought it was the kind of argument that you illustrate in your analysis below that had inspired the intellectual explorations of Genovese, both in ROLL JORDAN ROLL and in his later studies of white southern thought--ie., that slavery as an institution shaped the character of both master and slave.  This of course was a point that Jefferson made in NOTES ON THE STATE OF VIRGINIA, although William Byrd II hinted at in one of his letters from the 1730s, and it may date from even earlier than that.

All best wishes,
Kevin
Kevin R. Hardwick
Associate Professor