From:
Kevin Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:53:28 -0500
Mr. Dixon--

As an attorney, do you think you could persuade a jury to believe the
allegations against Jefferson?  In as much as the most persuasive arguments
on the issue on both sides have been produced by lawyers and not academic
historians, my guess is that it is not entirely implausible to imagine
juries that *would* convict.  If so, are academic historians any worse than
Americans in general?

While the particular question of whether or not Jefferson had a liason with
Hemings has obvious interest to Jefferson and Hemings decendents, I find it
a distraction from the larger issue of Jefferson's moral complicity with
slavery itself.  We have a great deal of information, much of it quite
direct and incontrovertible, that on the larger issue of slavery,
Jefferson's behavior was in direct contradiction with his own principles.
The proper historical standard by which to judge Jefferson, after all, is
the standard he himself established.  But here, he was *at best* a
hypocrite (in a way, for example, that can not be said of either Patrick
Henry or George Washington).  This remains true whether or not Jefferson
had sex with Sally Hemings.

Best,
Kevin

--On Thursday, March 28, 2002 12:26 PM +0000 "Richard E. Dixon"