From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:27:44 -0500
Dear Mr. Dixon,

  This may be difficult to conceive, but there are professions
besides that of lawyer.  Indeed, the law came rather late in
Western education:  perhaps two centuries behind theology and at
least seventy five years before medicine in British North America.
  Everything you have written seems anchored, if not cemented in
the professional education for the law.  This is not, in itself, a bad
thing.  But it is not axiomatically applicable to the study of history.
  I had observed several days ago, that legal cases have the
advantaged of compulsory testimony and prosecution for perjury.
The evidence for history is of a rather different type.
  I also observed, as you may remember, that in this profession
one may not assume that Jefferson did not impregnate one or more
of his bond women, in the absence of what you have called (but
never fully defined) as "proof."  Thomas Jefferson owned
somewhere around 100 women at any given time in his adult life.
He could command them in ways that no one else in Virginia
could, due to the fact of ownership.  What you refuse to come to
grips with, as far as I can see, are the implications of these facts.
  Even Mary Chestnut, in a memorable aside in her diary, opined
that everyone in the South can name the fathers of all the
"bastards" on the county plantations save for their own.  Now, that
was a very prominent southern belle writing.  For those who cant
see as deeply into slavery as the wife of a governor of South
Carolina,I think I can offer no hope of understanding this history at
all.