From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:58:32 -0500
Henry:  Most of the work on Van Lew has focused on her spy work during
the Civil War, but Elizabeth Varon (author of We Mean to Be Counted) was
doing work on Van Lew a few years ago -- I heard her present a paper --
that went beyond the wartime exploits.

David Kiracofe
College of Charleston

 On Tue, 01 Oct 2002 08:32:16 -0400 Henry Wiencek wrote:

> Does anyone know of any research done on the post-Civil War life of
> Elizabeth Van Lew, the Richmond spy (and postmistress)?  I'm interested
> in her contacts with Thaddeus Stephens, Rufus Paine Spalding, and other
> political figures in Washington DC during Reconstruction.
> Many thanks,
> Henry Wiencek
> Charlottesville

David Kiracofe