From:
Patricia Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 12:51:37 -0400
Sorry I'm getting to this subject so late, but we've had a conference at
the LVA this week.

I've done a lot of work on Indian schools in Virginia tangential to my
work (mostly forthcoming) on Chief George Major Cook, in particular, and
20th c. Virginia Indians, in general.  As usual you can find a lot of
original materials here at the LVA, including a collection of records on
the the various Indian Schools, grades 1-8 and eventually 1-12, run by
the Commonwealth in the last century.  The governors' executive papers
are another good place to look, since the reservated Indians were,
technically, wards of the state.  As usual, Helen  Rountree is a good
source in Pocahontas's People.

A few years ago I advised and  sat on a dissertation committee for a
diss in History of Education at VCU on "Policies and Attitudes: Public
Education and the Monacan Indian Community in Amherst County, Virginia
1908-1965" by Melanie Haimes-Bartolf.  This is a good treatment, and it
includes information gleaned from interviews with Monacan seniors who
had gone to Bear Mountain School in the past.  You might try to get hold
of it if you are interested in modern Indian history.

P.S.  Fred, I think I saw you in the Jamestown Settlement last Friday,
but with so much sweat running into my eyes, I could have been mistaken
:)

Pat

Patricia Ferguson Watkinson, Ph.D.
Archives Research Services