Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:50:57 EST
Greetings all,

I inquired about this school a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to share what
I learned.

First, there was a Rosenwald School in Russell County, Alabama named Mt.
Olive.  Records regarding this school are located at Fisk University.  [from Mrs.
Frazine Taylor, Alabama Dept. of Archives & History] The way, the first
African American High School in Northumberland County was named Julius Rosenwald.

Second, more specific to my question.  My Mt. Olive School was indeed
associated with The Mount Olivet (now Mt. Olive) Baptist Church.  An acre of land to
be used for a public school was purchased in 1882 from Mr. Warner Hurst.  Mr.
Hurst's land was next door to the old Mt. Olive Church (occupied in 1883,
destroyed by fire in 1982).  The present church is about a quarter mile up the
road from the old one.  The Northumberland Fountain Number 2282, True Reformers
Lodge, sold the church an additional acre of land in 1917.  Mrs. Bette E. Gray
was school principal in 1922, and Mrs. Daisey E. Moore was her assistant.  The
school closed when Anna T. Jeanes School opened.  [from The Northumberland
Echo Newspaper, Thursday, March 1, 1984]

If anyone has any information about, or relationship to any of the above,
please share.  Particularly if you know anything about The Northumberland
Fountain Number 2282, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Thanks for your past and future assistance.

Karen E. Sutton, RN, BSN, MA
Family Historian