Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:33:23 -0500
I'm glad you mentioned that, Anita.  From what I understand, Plecker did
have some Indians in VA sterilized.  As for my family,  who lived in
Campbell Co. near Concord, they were listed as white in the 1900 census, but
mulatto in the 1910 and 1920 census records, and Negro in 1930.  Also, some
of Mom's and Granny's cousins have since discovered that they were listed as
"colored" on their birth certificates.  Granny was unable to read or write,
because she was not allowed to go to the "white" school.  The Indian school
(which I assume was the Monacan school in Amherst) was more than 20 miles
away, so it was impossible for her and her siblings to attend.

The older people in our family were reluctant to talk about being Indian.  I
blame their fear of Plecker  and the racial law for this.  Personally, I
think there are probably many people in VA who know little or nothing about
their Indian heritage because of him.

Jean Spradlin-Miller