From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:50:47 -0500
Fred,

What amazes me about Annette Gordon Reed's latest book, is that when her
first book came out she was just a lawyer, but since then she is now a
"historian" at Rutgers where her great friend, Jan Lewis, is also a
historian. Jan Lewis and Peter Onuf at UVA are sponsors of these Jefferson
Legacies type symposiums which started in 1992 at UVA.

I will ask the true historians on this list, Is there NO accounting for
judging teaching historians when they write things such as she accuses TJ of
doing without any proof? One may wonder if she uses her book in her
classroom. I know that her first book was used at various universities
because I have been contacted by disgusted students. I am keenly aware that
Mt. Holyoke removed Prof. Joseph Ellis for one year when he admitted to
lying (I suppose that fits the dictionary meaning), to his students. He was
also grinding out unproven statements about TJ. Prof. Ellis's "glowing
remarks" can be seen on AGR's new book cover. Can one assume that stating
that TJ fathered 7 of Sally's children is "fact" and where is the big
announcement by Monticello that this is fact? Her first book states that DNA
did NOT prove that Eston's descendant was a descendant of Thomas Jefferson.
So what proof does she possess that NOW he can be counted among the seven? I
seem to recall that AGR is invited to speak at Monticello on TJ's birthday
or other function there. Do they not see that EVEN THEY do not have this
information? Do you professional historians wonder........what's going on?

Herb Barger

AGR used her first book to "rearrange" a letter from TJ's granddaughter to
her husband, Joseph Coolidge, in a manner that resulted in a complete
offensive meaning to TJ. Yes, she was awarded a high book award and I wrote
to them opposing this award. Several books and films and TV dramas have
listed their products as "FICTION".......she did not. She competed in a
NON-FICTION category at the book awards. What does Rutgers think of this
controversial historian and do they plan some form of "wrist slapping as did
Mt. Holyoke?"

Herb Barger

Whether she told "lies" or employed "imaginative fabrications"--
a methodology that one esteemed reviewer called "outrageous"--
that author has discredited the historical profession and revealed
the sham of commercial publishing and the once-credible National
Book Award.  That so few have criticized one of the worst-titled and
least reliable books of "history"--which sadly beat out a fabulous
book by the president of Harvard--is a sad commentary on our
times and the clearest signal yet that factually-accurate research
and writing are DEAD in this country.  More hype and hyprocrisy
of a celebrity culture to match our dismal economy and disastrous
politics!

Fred Fausz
St. Louis