From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:31:57 -0500
What do you mean by "duress?"  -- being defeated militarily?  compelled
to surrender?   ordered to repudiate slavery?  By that standard, all of
the readmissions to the union on the conditions of accepting the 13th
and 14th amendments were under duress.  I assume the Texans _wanted_ to
end the reconstruction, and so came to terms.  They didn't have to.

DJK

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College
Chesapeake Campus
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, Virginia 23322
757-822-5136
>>> John Philip Adams <[log in to unmask]> 02/26/07 9:35 AM >>>
Yes, but we were under duress when we agreed to this codicil. Therefore,
it
was an illegal action, civil statutes, and we as Texans cannot be held
that contract or at least this clause of that agreement.

John Philip Adams
Baytown, Texas 77520