From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:18:58 -0400
  To Paul, Richard, and All,

  I doubt that civilian deaths, particularly those of freedpeople would be included in these
figures.  If my guess is correct, the calculations were based on
bureaucratic records of who was officially "employed" in the
service.  Much of black service to the Union, outside the USCT,
was unofficial.  (Dare I say that this would have been true in the
Confederate armies as well!?)

Harold S. Forsythe
History & Black Studies
Fairfield University