From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 07:09:01 -0500
Virginia Lottery indeed!  I wonder if they had an early version of "Lydie Lucke" :))

I found the song and tune referenced in The Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, but when I went further, there were a gaggle of them so I don't know which it is in.

"With gold and silver plate there standes prepared with prizes now,

set foorth in greatest state, to London, worthy Gentlemen.."

"You farmers and you country men......"

Transactions of the Royal Historical Society

Your reference to the lottery makes a lot more sense of the words.

But the best news is that I found it on www.amazon.com along with a treasure trove of over music from that era,  hence probably many are candidates for having been played at Jamestowne.  So....... I ordered nearly 50 bucks of CDs with music -- probably another 40-50 tunes that I can add to my already-list of 60-70 Jamestowne possibles.

But there is still a terrific opportunity for somebody out there to put together "The Musick of Jamestowne" CD, based on a higher degree of scholarly research than my mere guessing.

Remember when we try to re-create history--- "it never was 'like it was' "

Thanks for the lead and inspiration to widen my musical horizons.

Randy Cabell

Boyce, Virginia