Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:25:59 -0500
Holly:

I quoted Adams to illustrate the anti-Southern views of intellectuals. The Bledstein book shows that few American colleges or universities in that era were very demanding intellectually. Adams himself said he learned little at Harvard (or something to that effect). It might be interesting to investigate whether the colleges of the South at least accomplished what they were trying to achieve--i.e., to turn the future leaders of their society and polity into true gentlemen. But what evidence would one use to prove or disprove this?

Doug Deal

ps. Drew Faust ( a Virginian) is not only the first female President of Harvard University, but also the first Southerner to hold that office.