From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:53:23 EDT
In a message dated 6/25/2003 1:53:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> most thorough biography is Ronald L. Heinemann's _Harry F. Byrd of
> Virginia_ published in 1996 by University Press of Virginia.

Anne,

I could not get into your website, but here are several interesting items I
found via a search for "Harry Flood Byrd" at www.google.com.  After you easily
eliminate the genealogy websites, Harry F. Jr info, Harry Flood Byrd highway,
it didn't take to long to turn these up.  Hope there is something that will
help here.

There is a quite interesting essay of pretty good length by Heinemann
"Senator Harry Flood Byrd of Virginia
The Pay-As-You-Go Man" at the vdot website here.  I don't know whether it
summarizes the highpoints of the book recommended by Mr. Hopewell, or is just an
excerpt:  http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/byrd.htm

There is a collection of five speeches/Congressional documents at the
Virginia Center for Digital History, Civil Rights project  website.  A part of the
University of Virginia, and designed specifically to help K-12 teachers among
others:
http://www.vcdh.virginia.edu/reHIST604/byrd.html

There are some good online cartoons of Byrd, with explanatory paragraphs,
from the Fred O. Seibel Papers; Special Collections and Archives, James Branch
Cabell Library, Virginia Commonwealth University here:
http://www.library.vcu.edu/jbc/speccoll/exhibit/seibel9.html

There is an online article on the "Byrd Organization" here:
http://www.virginiaplaces.org/government/byrdorg.html

There is an interesting article from the January 1, 200 Winchester Star,
"Family Values: Principles That The Byrds Held Dear Powered 20th Century Virginia
Politics" here:
http://www.winchesterstar.com/thewinchesterstar/Millennium%20Edition/Millenniu
m%20Legacy/battle_family.asp

His four page 1955 biography in "Current Biography" is here:
http://byrdservices.virtualave.net/byrd/biographies/harryfbyrd.txt

A Fairfax County elementary school's page on Harry Byrd Sr. similar to what
you are constructing perhaps but with an interesting twist is here:
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/LeesCornerES/students/famousva/byrd/hbmain.htm

The LVA bio is here:
http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whoweare/exhibits/political/harry_byrd.htm

His political graveyard bio is here:
http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/button-byrer.html

His congressional bio is here:
http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=B001208

As a person who has Bird ancestry, my line stumped in Tennessee, I can tell
you that if you need more resources the Rootsweb Byrd list might be of some
help to you -- Since pretty much everyone who has Bird family with possible early
Virginia connections by any stretch of the genealogy data (or just the
imagination) is always looking for a tie to what I call the "Big Birds" of Virginia,
and therefore has read extensively about the family.  (Actually I think mine
came through New Castle Delaware).

Hope this helps,
Janet Hunter