From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:52:48 -0600
Ok, then why does the statute in 1629-39 refer to the "names of the
Burgesses"? I am not trying to create an argument here.  As we say out
here in Oklahoma, "I have no dogs in this fight" -- I just want to
figure it out, so I get it right.  If I am understanding you correctly,
the members of the legislature called themselves "Burgesses" in the 1629
statute and inthe 1642 statute I quoted below, but they were not yet
part of something that was officially called "The House of Burgesses."
Is that right?

Paul