From:
Clara Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:16:18 -0800
I have a question:  how does one tell when buttermilk goes bad?

  I cook with it, but the thought of taking a swig makes my ears curl.  My mother and father both drink the stuff or crumble up cornbread in a glass and pour in buttermilk and eat it with a spoon, at which point I usually have to leave the room...

Excalibur131 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  See my last post about what to do with southern biscuits. Yummy!

Buttermilk is one of the key ingredients, perhaps the key ingredient, to
great southern biscuits. I wonder how many people have ever had buttermilk,
much less bought any? I wonder how many have ever cooked with it? I don't
know what it is or how to describe it, but buttermilk gives southern
biscuits something special. Maybe a twang? Maybe something in the texture?
Maybe some taste that's there so faintly, yet is so wonderful? I don't know,
but I sure love them.

I've also been taught that when you say "knead lightly" that is exactly what
you mean; none of this pounding and beating until the mixture turns into a
big dough ball.

Tom
Eastern Shore & More Forum
http://www.easternshoremore.com/forum/