From:
"T. GRAY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2023 16:03:09 -0400
I am almost 65 years old and have lived most of my life  in the area of Virginia where the first enslaved Africans arrived. One thing that is tragic , among many, is that Africans were stripped of their names and languages.  I am not aware of any other people who entered this country and had assume someone else’s name. Some people indigenous to this continent, lost their names also. Between absent and poor documentation of census, birth, death and marriage records of Africans and early African Americans it’s extremely difficult to trace my roots. Through Ancestry DNA , I am very fortunate to connect and communicate with one very distant relative in West Africa. Is my last name the same as hers?  I will never know.

Ms. TC Gray
Chesapeake VA

Sent from my iPhone