From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:19:31 -0800
While researching for my book, I found instances of Free Blacks & Mulattoes
(another name for Native), who owned slaves. One of my ancestors owned, and
freed slaves, (including a female who married his brother). Since Natives
and Free Blacks were under siege, it is highly unlikely they would have held
large amounts of slaves. Slavery was an international business with ships
leaving slave states headed for European Markets. That meant a requirement
for a shipping industry, and connections that Free Blacks and Natives did
not have.

Anita