From:
Thomas Katheder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 09:55:35 -0400
Dear Mr. Cabell,

Since you appear to be a Cabell descendant, I am assuming you are familiar with and have already checked the Cabell Papers at UVA.

The largest collection of Cyrus McCormick records, which includes his personanl and business documents, is held by the Wisconsin Historical Society.  Here's a link:
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/ihc/contents.asp

In Nelson County, McCormick had extensive dealings with William Massie, proprietor of Pharsalia. Massie's records are available on microfilm from the Center for American History at UT.  On Massie and Pharsalia, don't miss Lynn A. Nelson's "Pharsalia: An Environmental Biography of a Southern Plantation, 1780-1880 (Environmental History and the American South)."

As you probably know, a number of agricultural improvement societies appeared in Va. in the 1820s-1830s.  If one of them (such as the one for Albemarle Co.) covered Nelson Co., you should check their records, along with Va. newspapers for the relevant period and locale (both for ads and organizational lists and announcements).

Finally, don't ignore other vendors of harvesting machines.  For example, Robert Wormeley Carter II of Sabine Hall (I am writing a biography of his sister, Fanny Carter Dulany) is mentioned, along with twenty other prominent Virginia “practical agriculturalists,” in an 1834 newspaper advertisement promoting the “Douglass Patent Wheat Machine,” an improved threshing machine built in New York by Zalmon Booth.

Best regards.

Thomas Katheder