From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:23:09 -0500
Michael,

Did you mean to not include Native Americans in Americans who have "had
their clocks thoroughly cleaned"?

I am not at all convinced that in the 19th century there was any sort of
obligation owed defeated southerners other than allow them to take an oath
of allegience. I am shocked by those who feel the North should have
compensated the slave-owners for their "property". If anyone needed to
compensate anyone, it should have been the former slaveowners compensating
their former slaves. Had the former plantations been split up among those
who had worked them, the African-Americans would not have had to live in
poverty for so many generations.

Anne
Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem