From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2008 05:45:17 -0400
This letter (below the dashed line) from Congressman Peter Welch of Vermont
appeared in Saturday's Washington Post. (And I do have to add -- completely
irrelevantly, and solely on esthetic grounds that I couldn't define -- that
one of the top names I've ever encountered is Alexander Lucius Twilight.)
Steve Corneliussen
Poquoson, Virginia
- - - - - - - - - - -
Another Candidate For 'First'
Washington Post, Saturday, June 21, 2008; p. A15
    The June 7 front-page article "The 'Obama Before Obama' " said that
Virginia native John Mercer Langston is regarded "by many accounts" as the
first black person "elevated to public office by popular vote." Langston was
elected township clerk in Brownhelm, Ohio, in 1855 and later elected to the
U.S. House of Representatives.
    On behalf of the state of Vermont, I submit that our country's first
black elected official was Alexander Lucius Twilight, born in Corinth, Vt.,
in 1795.
    The Vermont Constitution, adopted in 1777, outlawed slavery and
guaranteed the right of every male resident over 21 to vote and hold
elective office. Twilight, a Presbyterian minister and educator, was elected
to the Vermont House of Representatives in 1836.
    In addition to winning this historic election, Twilight, a graduate of
Middlebury College, also had the distinction of being the first black
recipient of a college degree in the United States.
    Langston and Twilight are both noteworthy pioneers in American political
history, and their accomplishments should be remembered and celebrated.
-- Peter Welch
Hartland, Vt.
The writer, a Democrat, is the U.S. Representative from Vermont.