From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:58:47 -0500
I'm afraid I can't help, David, but you raise some intriguing questions.

What looks to be a usefully scrupulous online presentation of the 1662
Book of Common Prayer appears at
http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/, but of course that is too late
for Pocahontas.  The 1662 wedding ceremony is at
http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/occasion/marriage.html.  I'll
poke around the Web a little further to see if I can find an earlier
Anglican marriage rite (1552?  1559?).   If not, I'd urge you to
contact the librarians at the Virginia Theological Seminary Library in
Alexandria (http://www.vts.edu/library/welcome/) to see if they have a
copy of the relevant prayer book, or know who does.

One of your assumptions, though, is very probably incorrect, judging by
the text at
http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/occasion/marriage.html :  there
would not have been an exchange of rings.  At least in the period
during which the 1662 rite was in use (as it was, I believe, until the
late 20th century), only the woman received a ring.  I assume this was
the norm in all 17th- , 18th- , 19th- , and early-20th-century
Anglican/Episcopal marriages in Virginia, therefore, though I'd welcome
information from those who know better.  (Is there any record of men
having worn wedding rings in colonial Virginia, for instance?  My
impression is that there is not.)

Thanks again for an interesting topic.  I'll be glad to learn more from
others.

--Jurretta