From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2017 19:56:00 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Please join us on Wednesday, November 15, to hear our own Bert Dunkerly speak about “The Battle of Eutaw Springs,” based on his book Eutaw Springs: The Final Battle of the American Revolution’s Southern Campaign.  Bert did a great job on the book, and you’ll certainly both enjoy and be enlightened by his presentation.  We meet for dinner at 5:30 in the Heilman Dining Center of the University of Richmond.  A reminder will follow next month.

The ARRT-Richmond book award committee has chosen Nathaniel Philbrick, Valiant Ambition: George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Fate of the American Revolution as the winner of our Harry M. Ward Book Prize.  The presentation will be made at America’s History 7th Conference of the American Revolution in Williamsburg in March, 2018.  Thanks to the committee for their much appreciated work.

That’s another reason to attend Lynne and Bruce’s premier conference.  Details are here.  http://americashistoryllc.com/2017/5th-annual-conference-of-the-american-revolution-2-2-2/  This is always a wonderful event.

This is the last call for members who wish to attend our November 4 visit to Patrick Henry’s home at Scotchtown.  We need to give the staff a close count for their planning purposes.  We will meet there at 1 PM.  Please let me know if you plan to attend.  To date, thirteen folks have responded in the affirmative.  Those members need not reply again.  Here’s the site. https://preservationvirginia.org/visit/historic-properties/patrick-henrys-scotchtown

I want to give a particular huzza to Bill Seward, our secretary / historian, for his excellent meeting notes.  Be sure to check our site shortly after each meeting to either catch up on what you missed or enjoy a great summary of what you heard.  Bill always does a wonderful write up.  Thank you, sir.

And speaking of Bill, I would like to encourage our members to consider teaching a course for Osher, our partner at the University of Richmond.  A number of us have done so and really enjoyed it.  All the Osher staff, from Peggy Watson, the director, to Debra Guild, the assistant, to Bill, the prime helper, do an outstanding job with this continuing education program.  And it doesn’t have to be a course on the revolution.  Their offerings vary widely.  We want to keep this partner strong.  Please consider this.  You won’t regret doing so.

Congratulations to our New York member Larry Arnold, past president of the Friends of Saratoga Battlefield.  Larry was instrumental in acquiring the actual site of Burgoyne’s surrender. http://friendsofsaratogabattlefield.org/  There are big plans for the ground.

                Memorial set for US site where British surrendered in 1777

               SCHUYLERVILLE, N.Y. (AP) _ Work is expected to begin next year on a memorial to be built on the exact spot where a British general turned over his sword to his American counterpart after the Battles of Saratoga during the American Revolution.
               Officials held a ceremonial ground breaking just outside the village of Schuylerville on Tuesday, the 240th anniversary of the British surrender on Oct. 17, 1777.
               The $1 million memorial is set for the site where British Gen. John Burgoyne surrendered his sword to American Gen. Horatio Gates following the history-changing battles fought nearby.
               The project will include pathways, a wall with information about the site's significance and a sculpture depicting Burgoyne's surrender.
               The property will be turned over to the National Park Service and become part of Saratoga National Historical Park, which operates the nearby battlefield and related sites.

Paul Revere’s privy?  Take a look here. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/excavations-begin-paul-reveres-privy-180965044/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170927-daily-responsive&spMailingID=30787463&spUserID=NDc5OTMzODc4MDk4S0&spJobID=1123386361&spReportId=MTEyMzM4NjM2MQS2

Here’s an interesting find from England concerning the Declaration of Independence.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4434160/Second-copy-Declaration-Independence-found.html  If memory serves, I think another original was discovered in a Pennsylvania antique shop behind another picture in a frame about fifteen years ago.

Here’s information from Jamestown / Yorktown.

‘AFTERWARD’ SPECIAL EXHIBITION AT

AMERICAN REVOLUTION MUSEUM AT YORKTOWN CONTINUES

WITH SERIES OF FALL PERFORMANCES AND PRESENTATIONS

The “AfterWARd: The Revolutionary Veterans Who Built America” special exhibition at the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown continues this fall with a series of fall performances, public lectures and presentations connecting America’s veterans.

The special exhibition chronicles the post-war lives of veterans of the Siege of Yorktown, including Henry Knox, Alexander Hamilton, James Lafayette and the Marquis de Lafayette. Through artifacts, portraits and interactive exhibits, the exhibition allows visitors to make connections with the lives of soldiers and veterans, past and present. An interactive “Legacy Wall” multimedia display highlights stories and images of veterans from all eras of American history, from Colin Powell and Johnny Cash to Neil Armstrong and Julia Child. Visitors are encouraged to add their own stories to the wall and find personal connections to the veterans of Yorktown.

In addition, a free mobile app, available for Android and iPhone, features videos and interviews with scholars on a variety of topics and expands stories revealed in the “AfterWARd” special exhibition. Visitors can download the app from home or at the museum on Google Play or the Apple App Store.

 The special exhibition is sponsored in part by Altria Group, with additional support from the Virginia Society Sons of the American Revolution, James D. and Pamela J. Penny and Harry and Judy Wason.

Upcoming programs, made possible in part by Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation, include:

 ·       November 15: “The Legacy of Henry Knox” Lecture, 7 p.m. ­– Knox Museum Curator Matthew Hansbury discusses the many contributions made by Washington’s chief of artillery in his post-war years as the nation’s first Secretary of War. A special artillery demonstration will precede the talk. Admission to the evening lecture is free; advance reservations recommended at (757) 253-4572.

The special exhibition is included with daytime museum admission: $12.00 for adults, $7.00 for ages 6-12, and free for children under age 6.  Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown is located at 200 Water Street, in Yorktown, Virginia, near Yorktown Battlefield.

For more information, call (888) 593-4682 toll-free or (757) 253-4838 or visit http://www.historyisfun.org/yorktown-victory-center/afterward/.

Finally, the recently postponed WY-ARRT Virginia Campaign – 1781 conference has been rescheduled for February 24 – 25, 2018.  More details will follow.

See you in November.

Bill