From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:00:06 -0500
By the way, this is now part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, a United States Park which includes the St. Louis Arch, and commemorates the Lewis & Clark expedition in to the Louisiana Purchase, one of Jefferson's legacies to the United States of America. As a native of St. Louis and Missouri, I am certainly open to all interpretations of Jefferson, but I cannot really go along with simply bashing him over the head as "the monster of Monticello." Here is a link to the park:

http://www.nps.gov/jeff/index.htm

There are links to the old Court House (part of the park) and the Dred Scott case. People can do their own research into that and draw their own (hopefully unbiased) opinions from it. The US Park service says Scott won his freedom but the widow owner appealed to the US Supreme Court and won. I think it was the other way around, but who am I to contradict the US Park Service?

Craig