From:
Elizabeth Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:37:41 -0400
Muhammad Ali is also the name of the former
slave who took over Egypt in 1805 and ruled
it until 1848. btw, he was born a Christian
in the Balkans: when the Turks ruled the
Balkans, they periodically drafted boys from
Christian families into the Janissaries.

See >
http://www.bartleby.com/65/mu/MuhammdAl1.html

for info on Muhammad Ali and his career.

See >
http://www.theottomans.org/english/campaigns_army/index_3.asp

for info on the Janissaries.

I don't recall exactly why Cassius Clay chose
the name, Muhammad Ali, but it's likely he
chose the one famous in Egypt. Muhammad Ali
of Egypt was reknown for his military
successes as well as for his reforms.

Elizabeth Whitaker
Alexandria, VA