From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:02:49 -0500
Mr. Forest:

    I am afraid that you do not know the history of the WPA narratives.
Very few were published while FDR was alive  (i.e. The Negro in Virginia,
1940.)  In fact, when a historical sociologist George P. Rawick decided to
publish the collected interviews in about 1970, he discovered that the
project was about three times larger than he had been led to believe by
NARA.  The reason for this was that state directors of the project, chiefly
in the deep South, and sometimes state librarians or archivists, had been so
horrified about the critical things said by former slaves about slavery,
their masters, and the South, that they simply locked the mss. up and never
reported their existence to Washington, DC.
    Thus, when John Hope Franklin published From Slavery to Freedom, first
edition, 1947, he did not have access to most of this material.
    I think that the first series of the narratives, The American Slave:  A
Collective Autobiography was published by Greenwood Press in 1977.  I
remember pressing the library at the college where I then worked to buy the
set, which was a coup because it was quite expensive at the time.

Harold S. Forsythe