From:
"Metz, John (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:44:39 +0000
Lyle,

Really great observation and definitely one I will have to explore in my research. While I don’t know that I have any answers, I do have an observation regarding housing. The prevailing thought is that slave housing was predominately family-based by this point in time. Even the ubiquitous duplex was designed for two family units. My point here is that it may be difficult to surmise that these slaves were all housed in duplexes, especially since we know that single family housing frequently existed within the same farm/plantation. I know this to be true of Upper Bremo and Lower Bremo among others. Another curve that may be skewing the results are single males and single females that are grouped together within one house.

John