From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 09:06:28 -0400
My copy of the second edition (1965) of Fowler's MODERN ENGLISH USAGE (1926)
gives the rules for closing formal letters current in English English ca.
1961 (s.v., letter forms) when addressing personages of differing degrees of
official dignity. I've not seen the 3d edition that came out last year, but
there is scarcely a more useful or delightful book to have on one's desk
than the second edition.

If you were an ambassador, I would be required (according to Fowler) to sign
off thus:

I have the honour to be, with great truth and respect, Sir, Your
Excellency's obedient servant,

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us