From:
Connie Lapallo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 19:47:51 -0400
Tony Lister wrote:  "Used as a military factility since the 1600s.  Several
names:  Fort Algernourne, Thee Fort at Old Point Comfort as well as Fort
George."

I'd like to second Point Comfort (1607) and its 1609 Fort, Algernourne, as part
of the importance of preserving the Fort Monroe site.

"We rowed over to a point of land, where we found a channel and sounded
six, eight, ten, or twelve fathom, which put us in good comfort, therefore we
named that point of land 'Cape Comfort," wrote Percy of its naming.

"Upon Point Comfort our men did the last year...raise a little fortification;
which since hath been better perfected, and is likely to prove a strong fort..."
Strachey writes in 1610.

There is Starving Time history here as well, the settlers having fared far
better than those at Jamestown who were held under siege.

In June 1610, Lord de la Warr arrived at Point Comfort, only to learn of the
horrors of the Starving Time, the survival of the Sea Venture with Gates,
Newport, and Somers, and the plan to abandon Jamestown. And it was from
Point Comfort that de la Warr sent word to the settlers to turn around.

Point Comfort was also the site of an international incident in 1611, when a
Spanish caravel arrived off the coast. During the scuffle, three Spanish were
captured, while the Spanish absconded with an English pilot, Clark. This
greatly increased the rumor and fear of Spanish attack--since the Spanish had
captured a knowledgeable guide. This incident went to the highest circles in
Spain and England. Clark, after a time in Spanish prisons, went on to pilot the
Mayflower.

These are only a few stories of Point Comfort's early years. The Colonial
history at Point Comfort and Fort Algernourne is rich and worthy of being
preserved. The site clearly has historical significance through all the ensuing
centures.

Thanks to those who are trying to save it.

Sincerely,
Connie

Connie Lapallo

Author of
Dark Enough to See the Stars in a Jamestown Sky
and its upcoming sequel
The Sun is but a Morning Star in a Jamestown Sky

www.ConnieLapallo.com