From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:24:35 GMT
I am looking at one of my ancestors, Application for a pension, dated January 24, 1821. In the file he states that he served in the Revolutionary War as follows; That on the 15th April 1776, he entered into the Naval Service of Virginia, on board the Galley Page, commanded by Capt. Markham..., he continued that service until March 1778, when he entered as a Seamen into the naval Service of the United States on board the United States Ship Dragon, commanded by Capt. Callendar."

My questions is what is the difference in his service? When he started he was in the Naval Service, and then he became a Seamen. Could someone explain why he would refer to himself as a Seamen only after March 1778, and not when he joined the Naval Service. Does it have to do with time on a ship, or training?

Anita Wills

Order Sites for Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color - Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=9v5Ox3pAni&isbn=1411603338&itm=1

LEBOUDIN INFORMATION SITE:
http://www.orgsites.com/ca/leboudinpub/