From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:49:24 -0700
My understanding is that the Natives were dying from disease brought by the
Europeans, and also running away. Natives and Africans got along quite well,
so much so that Thomas Jefferson set out to obliterate the Mattaponi, who he
believed were more negro than native. Many of the underground railroad
trails to the North were trails that Natives used to assist escaped slaves.
However, my question had to do with why we were discussing Islam and
Africans, when this is a Virginia History forum. That is why I asked what
Islam and Africa had to do with Europeans enslaving Indians.

Anita