From:
Thomas Katheder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:29:58 +0000
Printer's error for sure.

Perhaps a gangly teenage printer's apprentice dreaming about a girl he sees in church and not paying close enough attention?  Or maybe the master printer himself, over 40 and bereft of bifocals to help him navigate his away among the confoundingly tiny lead letters in his shop? And, of course, if he had a few swigs of rye whiskey that morning his vision would have been even more impaired.

My guess is a a large stack was printed before the error was discovered (and possibly the clerk was supposed to write over the "E" and make it an "L" but just forgot).

You could compare the same form from that jurisdiction in prior and subsequent years to isolate when the error occurred and to see if one of the clerks marked out the error manually in other instances.

Thomas Katheder
lawyer/historian