From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 09:58:44 -0500
Impressed by her scholarship in Madison ' Hand, I just finished Mary Sarah
Bilder's earlier book, The Transatlantic Constitution : Colonial Legal
Culture and the Empire  (Harvard University Press, 2004). Focus is chiefly
on Rhode Island, but her discussion of advantages of compiling legal codes
as opposed to publishing session laws in order to evade Privy Council
scrutiny of laws "repugnant" to English law (pp. 59ff) struck me as a
perspective on contemporary (late-17th-  early-18th century) Virginia
practice that might interest some VA-HIST folks.