Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:28:06 EST
Dear Va-Hist'ers:

Does anyone happen to know if somewhere in Virginia there is a
painting/enrgraving/etc. of Edward Bates as a young man? This is the Edward Bates who served
as Abraham Lincoln's first attorney general, who was born at "Belmont" in
Goochland County. I've checked the online catalogs at the Virginia Historical
Society and Library of Virginia, with no success, so I thought I'd appeal to the
collective expertise of the Virginia History listserv. [By the way, a
colleague is checking for Bates images in Missouri, where he spent most of his adult
life.]

Thanks in advance,
Michelle Krowl