From:
Vickie Elam White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:25:18 -0400
Janet,

>Separately from my Virginia crew, my small group of New England ancestors
(later Quakers PA>NC) includes STEPH&EN HOPKINS who was on the Mayflower
and
is believed to be the Stephen Hopkins who earlier was Governor Thomas
Gates'
nemesis when their Ship the Sea Venture, bound for Jamestown in 1609 was
ship-wrecked in Bermuda. -- events at which location are thought to be the
inspiration for Shakespeare's "The Tempest", with Hopkins as Stephano.  The
written source for which inspiration is thought to be William Strachney's
account.  See representative online comment drawing parallels between the
Sea
Venture, the "tyranny of Gates" and the experience of the early Plymouth
settlers -- specifically the Mayflower Compact, here --
http://www.vineyard.net/vineyard/history/allen/bilingtn.htm<

You probably already saw this, but I just wanted to tell you that the July
1998
issue of "The American Genealogist" (TAG) contains an article entitled
"The True Origin of Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower With Evidence of His
Earlier Presence in Virginia" by Caleb Johnson.

If you don't have access to this, I would be happy to send you a copy.

Vickie Elam White