From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:40:43 -0400
I concur with whomever said to just drop this line of chat.  It not only smacks of the Global Warming Lobby, but there are far more important things to discuss on VA-HIST.

We may see some more erosion, but Jamestowne ain't goin anywhere in your and my lifetime.

I don't know where this all started but it is another example of those survey results in the Washington Post yesterday.  Shortly after 9/11, a suvey asked questions like "What do you think the probability is that you will be a victim of a terrorist attack in the next five years?"  I think that 1/5 of the peopls said they thought they would, and meet those numbers would have required an Invasion from Mars to create the casualties implied.

I like the fresh-water analogy somebody just gave.  And remember that the study of Economics picked up the nickname "The Dismal Science" a century and a half ago after Malthus proved beyond the shadow of a doubt (mathematically) that the world's population would outrun the world's food supply.  As an old engineer (Ramblin Reck), I should note that most projections into the future are made by assuming current trends will continue, most often that current compound growth rates will continue.  Nature has an history of seeing to it that such growth rates do NOT continue.

Lets move on.

Randy Cabell
If necessary, treading water as The Trumpeter of Jamestowne :))