From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 16:31:40 -0400
In the online Virginia history (but not VA-HIST) discussion that I announced
on Friday (please see the truncated rerun below the dashed line), comment 4
is my report on what President Obama actually did and did not say concerning
Fort Monroe in his Hampton University speech on Sunday. (Partial summary: He
alluded to it as "the Union garrison" and "the fort," but never said the two
words -- "Fort Monroe" -- that would have changed our struggle to save that
national treasure from mediocritization or worse.) If Fort Monroe is indeed
a prospective World Heritage Site, that online discussion is about why. I'll
bet that VA-HIST reaches people who, if they can make the time, would want
to join it. Thanks.
Steve Corneliussen
Poquoson, Virginia
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 10:25 AM
I hope that in this Virginia History forum I may invite people to join a
discussion of Virginia history in an online forum called Virginia Tomorrow.
The president speaks Sunday at Hampton University. The posting at Bob
Holsworth's Virginia Tomorrow forum (http://virginiatomorrow.com/) is
headlined "Obama’s Hampton Speech Could Promote Constructive Revisionism on
Slavery and the Civil War: Historic Venue Closely Linked to Endangered Civil
War Treasure, Fort Monroe." [snip]