From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:27:11 EDT
In a message dated 10/8/01 9:39:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Thanks to all who have replied to query concerning Mt. Airy.  I believe the
> Mt. Airy I am seeking is a plantation rather than a town.
> Norma

Norma,

In looking at the Archaeological Survey for Point of Rocks Park in
Chesterfield Virginia, the deed history for the Cobbs, Burtons, Bollings'
plantation COBBS, probably during the Bolling's tenure when the property was
expanded...also came to have a portion known as Mount Airy.

The first deed found by the Survey's researchers (which they admit is
incomplete) that mentions Mt. Airy is in 1832 Deed Book8 29.  Sale by Edward
Lynch and Harriet of Maryland to William C. Greenhill of Nottoway Co.....800
acre tract kown as Cobbs and Mt. Airy ..adjacent Stratton, the river
(Appomattox), Walthall, Hewlett, Moody and Stratton.  Other names bordering
the tract in an 1834 Deed Book Map are Traylor, Williams Beagleston & Royals.
  In the 1600/1700s among other families in the area were Pucketts, Locketts,
Baughs, Kennon, Womacks, Featherstones, Jeffreys, Wood, Burton.

It looks like whatever was Mount Airy was added by a purchase not shown in
the survey between the time in 1827 when William Bolling sold 625 acres of
place called Cobbs to Edward Lynch and the above 1832 deed.

For map, pictures, info on Cobbs family, original patent owners (probably) of
at least part of the land now in Point of Rocks Park (I think part of it
bordering Ashton Creek was first Baugh land, most finally sold 1753to
Bollings, who originally had only 300 acres in 1704 when John Bolling bought
the land from the Burtons, according to my deed research.  William Baugh sold
John Bolling 300 acres in 1753, bordering Walthalls, Strattons, Bollings and
Still Creek, aka  Ashton Creek, the Western border of the Park).

Cobbs pages http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cobb/ambrose.htm;

see map: http://echesterfield.com/soccer/fields/por.jpg, and

some pictures are here:
http://www.cvfo.org/locations_parks_and_open_areas.htm).

Norma, I don't know if this is closer to what you are looking for or not.  I
can't remember if you mentioned names in your original post.

Best Regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter