Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:11:00 -0500
Basil--

I am not suggesting that slavery is wrong because "everyone
knows it wrong."  Nor am I suggesting that slavery is wrong
only by "today's standards."

Rather, I am suggesting that slavery is wrong because it
violates the most fundamental values on which our country
was founded.  The founders recognized this at the time, but
believed that slavery was a "necessary evil."  Thinkers like
John C. Calhoun, and in Virginia Thornton Stringfellow,
transformed the argument in the 1830s to argue that slavery
was a "positive good."  The "positive good" argument was
explicitly racist and self-serving.  It was also an
important source of southern paternalism.

The existence of slavery elsewhere in the world is
irrelevant to the argument I am advancing.  Likewise, the
fact that the slaves who wound up in America were captured
and sold into slavery by other African peoples is
irrelevant.  What matters is that our nation is founded on a
set of ideals, and that slavery violated those ideals.

Our nation is not held together by bonds of religion,
ethnicity, or tribalism.  What holds us together as a people
is our commitment to the values and aspirations established
in the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of
Confederation, the North West Ordinances, and the
Constitution of the United States.  If you open the volumes
of the US Code, you will find these four documents preceding
the law, under the heading "Organic Laws of the United
States of America."  Slavery is evil because it contradicts
the values of our founding.

To say this is not to say that slavery is wrong for other
reasons.  Slavery is an abomination for a host of reasons.
But it is to say that anyone who is committed to the
fundamental values of the United States is, and was, deeply
wrong to condone or apologize for slavery.

All best,
Kevin