From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:00:36 -0500
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Please plan to join us on Wednesday, January 16, to hear Christian Di Spigna present “Founding Martyr: The Life and Death of Dr. Joseph Warren, the American Revolution’s Lost Hero,” based on his book of the same title.  Check it here.  https://smile.amazon.com/Founding-Martyr-Joseph-American-Revolutions/dp/0553419323/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544378626&sr=1-1&keywords=founding+martyr  Christian is a regular speaker and volunteer at Colonial Williamsburg.  We meet at 5:30 for dinner in the Heilman Center at the University of Richmond, with the meeting commencing at 6:30.  Maps and directions are here.  https://www.richmond.edu/visit/maps/print/campus.pdf  Also check our 2019 list of speakers.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html

Also, another reminder, 2019 begins our thirteenth year.  It also means that the regular $20 dues are due, with $5 going to preservation.  Dues can be remitted at the January meeting or via the mail to Woody Childs.  Please check here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/directors.html  We’ve come a long way in those years, from our start with four members to last year’s 93.  Thank you all.

Richmond is rightfully well known for its Civil War history, with many brochures available to tell the story.  This hasn’t been true for the American Revolution – until now.  For the last few years, Bert Dunkerly, Woody Childs, and I have been developing a “Revolutionary Richmond” brochure to fill that gap.  It’s now available on our site, with a further explanation.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/  Our next step is to seek funding and printing partners.  Please take a look and give us your thoughts, especially any potential partners.  We plan to explore other technology tie-ins.

Kudos to civilian Bert Dunkerly, who did a fine job in describing Revolutionary Richmond as part of Saturday’s Benedict Arnold’s Raid on Richmond program.  Thanks to St John’s Church Foundation and Henricus Historical Park for a fascinating morning.  Unfortunately, the National Park Service was unable to participate, as was planned.  Bert was able to announce our new brochure, which tied in nicely with the day.

Here’s an interesting article from Dave Riggs about the Christmas, 1776 riot at Fort Ticonderoga.  https://www.npr.org/2018/12/25/679831582/1776-christmas-riot-at-fort-ticonderoga-reveals-long-forgotten-tensions

For more Christmas reading and under the category of self promotion, here’s my article on “Christmas Night 1776: How Did They Cross?”  Although new on line, a slightly different version was printed in the first Journal of the American Revolution Annual in 2013.  https://allthingsliberty.com/2018/12/christmas-night-1776-how-did-they-cross/

For another great JAR story, but closer to home, here’s our friend Pat Hannum’s article about the action at Kemp’s Landing in November, 1775.  https://allthingsliberty.com/2018/12/recognizing-the-skirmish-at-kemps-landing/

Finally, George Washington comes home to Mount Vernon, at least for a two year visit.  https://www.mountvernon.org/plan-your-visit/calendar/exhibitions/earliest-known-portrait-of-george-washington-on-view/

Happy New Year to all and see you on January 16.

Bill

---
https://www.avg.com