From:
Brenda Hare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2012 19:59:28 -0500
Paul, I want to thank you for posting this.  I am a white, with most of my
ancestors being in New England.  Actually all of my ancestors were in New
England, coming there from their mother country.

I am in the process of trying to help a Black female research her ancestors.
She lives in New York City with South Carolina slave ancestors.

I have learned a lot from trying to help her research.  You are exactly
correct in that slaves were not treated like family, or most of them were
not.  Most of them worked hard and were fed very little.  Little concern was
given for the care of slaves.  They were treated like cattle, but probably
worse.  At least the slave owner could eat cattle.  The slave owner often
broke up slave families, selling the male to one person, the female to
another, and each child to a different person.  I have seen records that
show tiny babies being taken away from their mothers and sold as slaves.
Slaves were not treated as people at all, or at least not treated as if they
were people by most slave owners.

Slave owners also made the decision of which slave he was going to breed to
which slave.  It's hard to believe, but it's true.  It was not unlike modern
day farmers who decide which cows are going to be bred and to which bull.

To add one side note to the discussion, I am not sure that all Blacks want
to be called African Americans.  My correspondent in New York City tells me
that she is Black, not African American.  She says that African American
implies that she is from Africa.  While her ancestors may have originally
come from Africa, she did NOT.

I have learned a lot, and I'm sure still have a lot to learn.

Brenda in Iowa