From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:49:52 -0500
In celebration of Lincoln's birthday, professional actor and playwright Peter Holland will perform his one-man show, "Mr. Lincoln's Office" at the Reynolds Homestead on Thursday, February 22 at 7:30 p.m.

The play is adapted from the writings of Abraham Lincoln, and is a one-hour exploration of the ideas and character of our sixteenth President. The time of the play is November 1863. The place is Mr. Lincoln's office in the White House. The audience are visitors to the White House and have been given a special meeting with the President. During the visit President Lincoln shares his boyhood memories, his political career, his opposition to slavery, his election as President, and the fiery trial of civil war. Throughout the play Lincoln turns to humor as relief from the tragedy of war, and relates to the audience many of his famous stories.

Play creator, Peter Holland, recently commented on the production: "Mr. Lincoln's Office is my attempt to bring Lincoln fully to life--warts and all. I've gained a great admiration for him during these past months of research and writing. I don't think any actor could capture all the aspects of Lincoln's complex personality. I'm just going to do my best to express the meaning of the wonderful words that he wrote."

"Mr. Lincoln's Office" debuted at Patrick County High School on February 12th, the anniversary of the former President's birthday.

The show is designed for audiences of all ages, and tickets are $5 for adults and $2 for students. Call the Homestead for reservations, or if you have any questions:  (276) 694-7181.

Lisa S. Martin, Program Coordinator
Reynolds Homestead
463 Homestead Lane
Critz, VA 24082