From:
Tom Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:44:14 -0500
Getting visibility of social groups in colonial America is problematic.  The
best example of raising a question about colonial demographics that I know
of is found in "Military Records and Historical Archaeology" a chapter by
Lawrence E. Babits in _Documentary Archaeology in the New World Series: New
Directions in Archaeology Edited by Mary C. Beaudry.  Babits found that 60%
of all recipients of British receipts for confiscated property in the
Carolinas during the southern campaign of the Revolutionary War appeared in
no other public records.  Who, what, and where were they?  They had
sufficient property to have been confiscated, but they weren't on tax rolls
nor were they in the militia rolls, or court records.

Was there a class of "cottagers" in the southern colonies?  How many degrees
of people were there who did not own real property?

Please, somebody drop whatever you're doing and get to work on this as I,
for one, certainly want to know.

Merry Christmas to all, and thank you for a most informative year.

Tom Magnuson