From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2017 13:21:45 -0500
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Please join us on Wednesday, November 15, to hear our own Bert Dunkerly speak about “The Battle of Eutaw Springs,” based on his book Eutaw Springs: The Final Battle of the American Revolution’s Southern Campaign.  Bert did a great job on the book, and you’ll certainly both enjoy and be enlightened by his presentation.  We meet for dinner at 5:30 in the Heilman Dining Center of the University of Richmond.  A campus map is here.  http://virtualtour.richmond.edu/#UMAP_2013062750127  And congratulations to Bert, who will spend November through February as the acting Chief of Interpretation at Morristown National Historical Park in New Jersey.  https://www.nps.gov/morr/index.htm  Bert assures me that this is only a temporary assignment and that he won’t be leaving Richmond.

Also check our site for the list of 2018 speakers.  Bruce Venter has secured another outstanding line up of historians.  Thanks, Bruce.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html

And be sure to consider the Venter’s 7th Conference of the American Revolution in March in Williamsburg.  Hard to believe this is the seventh one.  They’ve only gotten better.  http://americashistoryllc.com/2017/5th-annual-conference-of-the-american-revolution-2-2-2/

This past Saturday, eighteen of us enjoyed a wonderful visit to Patrick Henry’s home at Scotchtown.  We were welcomed by Garnet Stevens, the director.  Susan Llewellyn led us on a truly outstanding tour of the home, with special emphasis on Henry’s life.  Thanks to both of them.  And be sure to check their the link for the up coming Colonial Christmas at Scotchtown on December 9 &10.  https://preservationvirginia.com/events/detail/colonial-christmas4  And join us in January for Jon Kukla’s presentation on Henry.

Gordon Wood recently spoke at the University of Richmond about the friendship between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.  Here’s a review of his book on that topic.  https://www.newcriterion.com/issues/2017/11/founding-friendship  There was also a brief article in today’s Richmond Times Dispatch. Ask Bill Seward for his assessment.

Here are two new books for which I offer my personal endorsement.  The first is Theaters of the American Revolution, edited by Jim Martin and David Preston, and including articles on the northern, middle, southern, western, and naval theaters.  These chapters are written by our friends, members, and former speakers Jim Martin, Mark Lender, Ed Lengel, and Jim Piecuch, as well as David Preston and Charles Neimeyer.  This is another fine tome from Bruce Franklin’s Westholme Publishing.  http://westholmepublishing.com/

As an old New Jersey guy, the second is especially interesting.  Crossroads of the Revolution: Trenton 1774 – 1783 by Larry Kidder expands the Christmas 1776 story to present this small, but important, town’s role in the entire war.  Larry does a great job in telling that story.  And thanks to Roger Williams of Knox Press for bringing it to us.  https://www.knoxpress.com/

Finally, dates for the 5th Congress of ARRTs in Yorktown are April 6 – 8, 2018.  This Congress is hosted by the Williamsburg Yorktown ARRT and is open to all ARRT members.  More details will follow.

I look forward to seeing you on November 15, and, as always, please bring a friend.  Thanks.

Bill