From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:33:39 -0500
Randy:  Check out "The Jamestown Jubilees: 'State Patriotism' and
Virginia Identity in the Early Nineteenth Century" (VMHB 110:1 [2002])
on the Jubilees -- there were four: 1807, 1822, 1834, and 1857.
I don't know about the tune, but I'm guessing the poem set to the tune
was a successful bit of publicity for the event (which was not even
planned yet on April 8!!!) judging from its inclusion in the procession.
  I do think the poem references Pocahontas, but as a historical note;
the "Ann" mentioned is the person with whom the poet wishes to "saunter
through the groves."  My notes unfortunately don't have the beginning of
the poem -- just that last stanza.  But I imagine the VHS would have
copies of the Virginia Apollo newspaper if one wanted the the text; the
poem appeared on April 8, 1807.
Thomas Jefferson did not attend, but I think I recall reading that John
Tyler, as a William & Mary student, did.  Mostly there were just local
dignitaries from Williamsburg, Petersburg, Norfolk and Portsmouth --
Richmond interest was conspicuously absent.

Dave

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College
Chesapeake Campus
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, Virginia 23322
757-822-5136
Ye gods.... what did researchers do before the Internet?

I found 'Boyne Water' was an old irish song in some (probably 17th or
18th century) war.  Lots of references in the song with which I am not
familiar like Ouldbridge Town, Duke Schomberg, Prostestants of
Drougheda, Brave King William, Cunning French near to Duleek.

I am wondering a couple of things.  #1 if the poem used at the 1807
Bicentennial was really about Pocohontas.  It says "Ann", but my history
is not good enough to know if maybe that was really a Christian name
given her.  #2 If the tune, like Anacreon in Heaven a few years later,
was just a convenient one to hang a poem on to.

Finally, the fact there was apparently a big celebration in 1807 for
Jamestowne is news to me, and quite welcome.  I would like to learn
more, like was Thomas Jefferson there, amongst others.

Randy Cabell

To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the
instructions