From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:21:46 -0500
Thanks, particularly to Joan and John for early responses, to my question on the seal.  Given that the whole expedition was financed by the London Company or the Virginina Company of the London Company, I decided to use the seal of the London Company, ca. 1601 with its crown on top, lions and fleur de lis, with an inscription around it which includied "Virginiae."  I think it more likely that this was used rather than a Government Issue.

But I like the idea of the cross of St. George, particularly since it is so simple to make.  But I have the feeling that the group was not THAT churchy, plus I think the Spanish made extensive use of the same cross -- no doubt with a more Spanish name -- on their banners of the time.

And of course since we do not know who the trumpeter was or what he played, the seal pretty much completes the triad of "not knowing."  I have sketched it in, and it does make a handsome banner.  Hmmmmm.  Maybe I can go into the business of making a selling "genuine imitation simulated Jamestowne banners" for trumpets!

Randy Cabell