From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:16:56 -0500
Settled is relative, or at least temporally delimited. At one point
separate but equal was settled law (Plessy v. Fergusson). At one
point the return of fugitive slaves was settled law, as was slavery
itself. Just because the Supreme Court has ruled in a particular way
doesn't mean that they have correctly interpreted the Constitution,
or we would never have precedents overturned. There are many who
would argue that the Supreme Court has gone way too far in its
interpretation of the establishment clause. There are many who would
argue that they have not gone far enough.

James Brothers, RPA