From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:53:10 -0400
Okay, dear colleagues, I'm going to jump into the pool here.  Kevin
Hardwick wrote:

"So let's stipulated that some former slaves, remembering slavery,
recalled it in nostalgic, positive terms.
So what?  What larger inferences do you draw from the fact that some
elderly people had positive memories of their childhoods (as slaves)?
Just what are you arguing for, anyway?  What's your point?"

Basil Forest replied:

"'By far the best proof is experience'"

To which Kevin replied:

"I do not understand the point you are making here.  Can you spell it
out a bit more directly?
Thanks . . ."

To which J. South replied:

"Merely that their testimony is the best evidence we have of their
feelings about this lives in slavery vis-a-vis their lives at the time
they were interviewed.  They don't speak for everyone, but they do
speak for themselves.
I love the way historians like to take such accounts and  discount the
veracity of the interviewee to meet their intellectual and academic
point of view."

Okay, let me see if I can explain why that's an absurd statement, with
all due respect.

J. South and Basil Forest, no one is "discounting the veracity of the
interviewee."  But do you really think that historians take *any*
document or testimony at face value?   Because I can assure you that we
don't.  No matter who wrote the document, or spoke the words, -- no
matter who! -- historians (and probably you, too, if you think about
it) know enough about human nature to recognize that any human
utterance exists in a context, and that to understand it you have to
understand the context also.

All historical study of documents, and much literary scholarship, is
based on that belief.   Why do you believe that we should treat the WPA
narratives differently from any other historical source?  Why should we
take the words of the WPA interviewees at face value when (for example)
the words of George Washington or Robert E. Lee need to be understood
in historical context?    What makes the WPA narratives the great
exception?

And if you look at the context of the WPA interviews, you find that
they took place in a society that placed whites above blacks and
involved poor, elderly black people, many of whom still lived in or
near the same community where they'd been enslaved and many of whom
were hoping to qualify for government pensions to help alleviate their
poverty, being interviewed by much younger middle-class white people
who were either strangers or from the same community and who said they
were there on behalf of the government.

Now, in that setting, is one obliged to consider the likelihood that at
least some of the testimony saying, in effect, "your
great-grandparents, or your fellow white people's great-grandparents,
treated me okay" is perhaps to be taken as a strategically qualified
statement rather than a statement of absolute candor?   Or is it safer
to assume that these poor old black folks were so stupid they thought
they'd better tell these quite possibly powerful white folks the full
unvarnished truth, and damn the consequences?  (The questions
themselves were less than neutral: read them starting at
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=mesn&fileName=001/
mesn001.db&recNum=18 , and notice that they leave plenty of scope for
pleasant memories and very little for recollections of punishment and
such.)

J. South and Basil Forest, how do you answer that argument?  If you
believe the contexts of these interviews are (uniquely) irrelevant, can
you please say why?

Here's another piece of evidence.  If you read hundreds of the WPA
narratives, as I have -- and which anyone can readily do by reading
those found at http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/snhtml/snhome.html -- you
find that, yes, they contain many personal memories of both cruelty and
contentment.  But you also start to notice something else: that there
are many memories of cruelty experienced by others, in the neighborhood
or even on the same plantation, rather than by the interviewee him- or
herself.  The person says, in effect,   "I did okay, but here's what
happened to my aunt, or my friend, or the people down the road."  In
other words: I'm not going to say anything against the people who owned
me, but I will tell you about the cruelty of their neighbors, or of the
overseers who worked for them.  Could that, just possibly, be a way of
telling some difficult truths while shielding the speaker from direct
responsibility for them?  Could that tell us anything about the
willingness, or reluctance, of the interviewees to be direct about
their own experiences?  I don't know, but surely it's worth
considering.

One final suggestion.  If you know anyone who's been in combat, think
about how they talk about it, if they do so at all.  (If you're a
combat veteran yourself, sit down with a young relative at the next
family gathering and ask them to interview you about it.)  My guess is
that the positive memories -- the camaraderie, the bravery, the
hardship successfully endured -- will be readily shared, but the
traumatic ones will not.

Slavery, like war, was an extraordinarily complex experience.  Why
should we assume that either slavery or war leave simple, unconflicted
memories and records that can best be understood at face value?

--Jurretta