From:
"Huffstutler, Eric S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2010 11:12:10 -0400
I was born and raised in Newport News.  One of my book collections
includes "The Good Old Days of Hampton and Newport News" by Parke Rouse
Jr.  In it is a passage talking about a U Boat being sunk off Nags Head
and the dead sailors on board brought secretly onshore at night and
buried at Fort Monroe in Hampton.  Their gravestones still stand but the
general public never knew this happened at the time and that German
U-Boats were so close to our shores.  This came out so possibly other
"sinking" information may be public access now?  I know Cold War info
much newer is now public access.

Eric